23 February 2011

Still not friends ...

... with needleturn but I feel like I'm slowly improving.  The photos are of three mini blocks in Block 9 of Leanne Beasley's "Butterfly Garden".




The flowers are good to applique because the pointy ends don't have to be neat as they are covered by the flower centre.  I have tried needleturn applique many times over the last 11 years or so but this time I've been determined to make friends with needleturn.

This quilt is going to be extremely busy to the eye so I've tried to choose plainer sections of the fabrics for the petals.

Blocks 1 to 4 are finished. Block 5 has 6 appliqued butterflies so I decided to work backwards from Block 9 to Block 5 in the hope that my needleturn would have improved by the time I reach Block 5.

"Sylvia's Bridal Sampler" blocks so far - 122 to go

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Great job Lynda. I still can't fall in love with needle turn. I find blanket stitch so much more enjoyable. Maybe I just need to practice more so that needleturn becomes relaxing too.

Bec said...

OMG how good do your SBS blocks look together!
As for the needleturn you are getting there, practice is improvement. I would suggest that anyone you come across ask them for a short lesson/demo. I found having a few people show me then me trying it with them watching helped me an awful lot. It can't hurt to ask.
Oh, do you have Robyn Falloon's dvd that Quilters Companion put out last year I think - it's on needle turn applique and might be helpful too. If you don't have it you can purchase back issues with the dvds from the people that put out AQC.

Roseanne said...

Hi Lynda I love doing needle turn. Your blocks look lovely.

Nicky said...

Love those daisies! I too am hoping to make friends with needleturn - and I think yours look great. WOW - your SBS blocks are beautiful - gorgeous colours!

Yvette said...

Lynda, I am in love with both of your projects. I think your needleturn is looking good. Practice, practice, practice.

You are going to have the prettiest SBS I have ever seen.

Anonymous said...

Practice, practice practice and you will get better but they look fine to me and you SBS block are just gorgeous, such happy colours

Helen said...

Your SBS is looking great. Its always a challenge if you don't like doing something thats for sure.

Helen

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

BG is looking so good, nice needleturn, you are doing better than your slack mate....LOL....the sampler is stunning Lynda you must be so very pleased with it...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...